Monday, April 22, 2013

Why We Love the Second Male Leads



The main guy. . .  Whether you love him or hate him you know that in the end, no matter what he does, you know that in the end he is going to get the girl. The biggest challenge I find whilst watching dramas occurs when I prefer the second male lead more than the main guy himself.

In some dramas you watch, you are going to encounter the sadness of loving the second male lead. He could be the kind-hearted guy, the childlike, funny best friend, the bad boy or the one who sacrifices his own happiness for the main girl. Whichever character he may be you can’t help but love him!


A smile will come to your face when you watch a sweet moment between him and the main girl. However, that smile will soon leave as you realize that no matter how hard he tries to win the main girls heart, he will never get his prize.  

Personally, in the Korean Drama, Boys Over Flowers, I found myself preferring the second main lead, Kim Hyun-joong. I really appreciated his personality and charm in this drama. He was always protecting, helping and encouraging the main girl, Ku Hye-sun. He encouraged her to go after the one that she loved; who happened to be Kim Hyun-joong’s good friend. Although he loved Hye-sun, he knew that she loved his friend and decided that her happiness was important. So he encouraged her to love, while protecting her along the way. So sweet!


In the Korean drama, "To the Beautiful You", I found that I like both the main guy, and also the second male lead. They both had my vote, although, I found myself supporting the second lead even more! I am just a softy to sweet, lovable leads! 


There will be times, depending on how much you get involved with the drama, you are going to be talking to the computer screen saying, “It’s okay.” Or thinking, “If it were me, I would have picked you!”

What drama’s have you watched where you liked the second male lead more than the main guy?



  

1 comment:

  1. lol, so true! I sometimes root for the 2nd male lead. I rooted for the 2nd male lead in "You're Beautiful", "Hana Kimi", "Sungkyunkwan Scandal", "Yi San", "Princess hours", "the Prince Turns Into a Frog", and "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho". I had mixed feelings of liking all of the guys in "Queen Seon Deok".

    ReplyDelete