Thursday, April 18, 2013

Why We Watch and Love Korean Dramas



Korean Dramas. If you've seen any Korean dramas you probably got excited when I mentioned them just now. If you haven’t seen any, you may be wondering why someone would watch them.


It’s quite simple, watch one Korean drama and most likely you’ll get hooked on them for life. That’s what happened to me, my sister, best friend and many others.

When I watched my first Korean drama, to be honest, I turned it off.  Why…..? Seriously, I was not interesting in reading subtitles and I didn’t think that it could be that great. But then, one day I was extremely bored and out of that boredom I decided to watch an episode of “My Princess”.  I was hooked on the first episode.


I remember it was a very busy weekend; I had places to go and things to do. When I had a moment, even if it was just 10 minutes, I spent that 10 minutes watching the drama. I left my computer turned on with the episode up so I could quickly watch a few minutes before leaving for my next activity. I watched all 16 episodes of “My Princess” in about 3 days. Crazy right? If you watch Korean drama’s you’ve probably done the same!

You find yourself looking at the clock late at night convincing yourself to watch just one more episode and then clicking the play button to continue. You may cover your eyes afraid of what happens next. Most likely, you will fall in love with the male lead and find yourself smiling whenever he smiles or when he says, or does something sweet. You will also feel the embarrassment of the main characters whenever something awkward happens. On numerous occasions, I’ve stopped watching and walked out of the room to calm down before continuing in my Korean drama.  They really draw you in!

So why do we love Korean dramas?  I really can’t identify one specific  reason. I love the language, the culture, the story lines. Everything!



Why do you love Korean dramas? What was the first drama you watched? Let me know! 






2 comments:

  1. First Korean Drama I watched was 'My Girlfriend is a Nine-tailed Fox' at the suggestion of a friend of mine. Little did she realize the Monster she created! XD I have been hooked on Asian Dramas (Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese and some Chinese) I got used to the subtitling so fast!

    Asian dramas are, to me, nowhere near the same as American dramas ..or soaps.. if you'd rather. Longer then a movie, a lot shorter then some long-winded soap and yet often with a full rich storyline/plot set to engage the audience from the first episode to the last.
    My favorite genre is the combo of romance and comedy, thankfully, there are a lot of them! I also like action, fantasy, adventure, mystery and intrigue. spies, detectives, lawyers, homespun, and even a bit of slapstick.
    I, like you, created a blog based on this very obsessive subject. A review of those I have seen and what I thought of them. Please go take a look sometime, ne?

    A quick Google search should see ya straight to my blog doorstep.
    Search for...... Magically Dramatical Mistakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to watch, 'My Girlfriend is a Nine-tailed Fox.' I should start that one soon!
      I really like your blog! I love that other people are passionate about K-dramas as well.

      Delete